Supporting at-risk young people through education.
What is it?
Support for students from grade 5 to year 12 who are attending school but are vulnerable to, or showing signs of disengaging from school. We provide this support by partnering with local schools and community service providers.
This service is called School Focused Youth Service.
Who can access this service?
All government, catholic and independent schools from the Moreland Local Government Area, that support students at-risk of disengagement.
School Focused Youth Service does not work directly with students, instead we partner with local schools and community service providers to provide this support. For more information about who we partner with, see 'More information' below.
We can also provide Department of Education funding to schools and community agencies to deliver target group and/or capacity building interventions.
Do I need a referral?
No, however if you're a school and would like support with students, call us.
We go to local schools.
Make a booking
Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H).
What can we help with?
Through the program, local government and community-based agencies with expertise in working with children and young people, work with schools to deliver two types of services:
- Agencies can work directly with groups of disengaged students to deliver a wide range of targeted interventions. Interventions are designed to provide opportunities for these students to improve their social and emotional skills, foster greater self-esteem, develop more positive attitudes towards learning, and experience success.
- Agencies can work with schools to build the capacity of teachers and support staff to better understand and respond to disengaged students. This includes professional development opportunities for staff to better understand barriers to engagement, and improve the support they can provide to students who are vulnerable to, or showing signs of disengaging.
School Focused Youth Service also facilitates supportive networks, develops collaborative projects, and helps to improve the current service system and service gaps for young people in Moreland.
Who does we work with?
We don't work with students directly, instead we partner with local education providers to support at-risk students. We partner with:
- All government, catholic and independent schools within the Moreland Local Government Area
- Community organisations and groups
- Local council
- Youth-related peak bodies
What can I do if someone at my school needs help?
If you're a school and would like to know how we can help or talk to us about what's happening, call us on 1300 637 744 (MERRI H).
If you're a young person that needs help, come and see our drop-in service. It's free and confidential. We'll link you in with the right service.
This service is funded by the Victorian Government's Department of Education