Exercise physiology


Supporting older people to stay active

What is it?

Support to help you stay active and better maintain your health. We can provide an exercise assessment and recommendations tailored for you. Learn how to exercise safely at local leisure centres and gyms.

Who can access this service?

Anyone 65 years and over (50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people)

If you're 64 years and under, see our Health Services page.


There is a small fee for some of our services. Some of our services are free.

Check our fees here.

Do I need a referral?

Yes. You will need a referral from My Aged Care who will carry out an assessment.

A doctor or health professional can refer you to My Aged Care. See 'Make a booking'.


We also provide a limited home visiting service for Moreland residents.

See all locations.

Make a booking

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider.

Your doctor or health professional can also complete this online form.

More information

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the main entry point into the aged care system in Australia.

When you call them, tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider. My Aged Care will then arrange an assessment for you.

I need help calling My Aged Care

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

I need an interpreter to call My Aged Care

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

Frequently Asked Questions

How would I benefit from seeing an exercise physiologist?

We can help with an exercise assessment and provide recommendations tailored for you, health education, disease management, and can also help people to learn how to exercise safely in settings such as local leisure centres and gyms. Exercise Physiologists also facilitate a range of group programs.

My parents are too old and frail to exercise. What exercises will they be doing?

All exercise programs are specially designed for each client to help with strength and mobility

If my parents start exercising I think that they will hurt themselves. Isn’t it better to be safe and not exercise?

No, the exercise physiologist will create an exercise program that is safe and appropriate

I use a wheelchair to get around. Can an exercise physiologist still help me keep active?

Yes, there are exercises you can do in your chair to work on your strength and fitness

I think that my family member would benefit from this service. Can I call Service Access on their behalf?

Yes, you can contact Service Access on their behalf.

Where can I get more information about this service?

Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H). We can help you with information about eligibility for services and advice on which service will help you with your needs.


This service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Visit the Department of Health website for more information.

Although the funding for this service has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.