Supporting you through memory changes.
What is it?
Let’s work together to help you understand what you’re experiencing and how to stay independent.
We can help with:
- Targeted health and therapy services
Coordinated support to help you cope with the changes
You will also have access to services like occupational therapy, physiotherapy and exercise physiology, and an MBS geriatrician.
Who can use this service?
Anyone 65 years and over (50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), with our without a formal diagnosis.
If you're 64 years and under, see our Health Services page.
There is a small fee for some of our services. Some of our services are free.
Do I need a referral?
Yes. You will need a referral from My Aged Care who will carry out an assessment.
A doctor or health professional can refer you to My Aged Care. See 'Make a booking'.
- In your home
Make a booking
Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider.
Your doctor or health professional can also complete this online form.
A separate referral is needed from your doctor to see the geriatrician – download and complete this form.
For information or to speak to our team call 1300 637 744.
How can this service help me?
We help you to stay independent through:
- Assessment and/or intervention for:
- changed behaviour
- grading of daily living activities to help the person with dementia stay engaged
- the home environment and improvements based on dementia design principles
- Home modification and equipment.
- Sensory modulation intervention – this focuses on the use of environments, equipment and activities to maintain the person’s sensory experience and improve physiological and emotional wellbeing.
- Support for carers on different communication and engagement techniques.
How can a geriatrician help me?
A geriatrician can help with specialist support for people with cognitive complaints, like:
- comprehensive geriatric assessment
- medication/polypharmacy review
- multi-morbidities that need specialist input
- management of behavioral symptoms related to cognitive impairment/dementia
- advance care planning.
What is My Aged Care?
My Aged Care is the main entry point into the aged care system in Australia.
When you call them, tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider. My Aged Care will then arrange an assessment for you.
I need help calling My Aged Care
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.
I need an interpreter to call My Aged Care
If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.
Where can I get more information about this service?
Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H). We can help you with information about eligibility for services and advice on which service will help you with your needs.
This service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Visit the Department of Health website for more information.
Although the funding for this service has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.