Memory loss and dementia support

Dementia WEB

Supporting you through memory changes.

What is it?

Let’s work together to help you understand what you’re experiencing and how to stay independent. We can help you to adapt to memory changes and continue doing the things you want to.

The memory and dementia services can help you to:

  • Adapt your daily activities or environment to remain involved in the things that are important to you
  • Increase your levels of physical activity and prevent falls.
  • Support you and your care partners to understand memory loss and dementia
  • Understand and manage changed behaviours.
  • Practical and emotional support to a person living with dementia and their Carer/family
  • Continence advice, information, and funding application support for appropriate aids

You will have access to occupational therapy, physiotherapy, exercise physiology, nursing, social work, leisure therapy, speech pathology and dietetics. We also have a Medicare funded geriatrician.

Who can use this service?

Anyone 65 years and over (50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), with or without a formal diagnosis of dementia. 

If you're 64 years and under, see our Health Services page.


There is a small fee for some of our services. Some of our services are free.

Check our fees here.

Do I need a referral?

Yes. You will need a referral from My Aged Care who will carry out an assessment.

A doctor or health professional can refer you to My Aged Care. See 'Make a booking'


See all locations.

Make a booking

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Tell them you want to access Merri Health - Memory and Dementia Service as your provider. 

Your doctor or health professional can also complete this online form.

A separate referral is needed from your doctor to see the Geriatrician – download and complete this form.

For information or to speak to our team call 1300 637 744.

More information

How can a geriatrician help me?

A Geriatrician can help with specialist support for older people including people living with cognitive changes, like:

  • comprehensive geriatric assessment
  • medication review
  • multi-morbidities that need specialist input
  • management of behavioral symptoms related to cognitive impairment/dementia
  • advance care planning.

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the main entry point into the aged care system in Australia.

When you call them, tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider. My Aged Care will then arrange an assessment for you.

I need help calling My Aged Care

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

I need an interpreter to call My Aged Care

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

Where can I get more information about this service?

Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H). We can help you with information about eligibility for services and advice on which service will help you with your needs.

This service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Visit the Department of Health website for more information. 

Although the funding for this service has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.