Learn how diet and nutrition can affect your wellbeing.

What is it?

Healthy eating and nutritional advice for people with a diet-related health problem. We can help with issues like being over or underweight, chronic disease, gastrointestinal diagnoses, cancer and allergies.

We have one-on-one consultations and group education programs.

Who can use this service?

Anyone 65 years and over (50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people)

If you're 64 years and under, see our Health Services page.


There is a small fee for some of our services. Some of our services are free.

Check our fees here.

Do I need a referral?

Yes. You will need a referral from My Aged Care who will carry out an assessment.

A doctor or health professional can refer you to My Aged Care. See 'Make a booking'.


See all locations

Make a booking

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 for an assessment. Tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider.

Your doctor or health professional can also complete this online form.

More information

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the main entry point into the aged care system in Australia.

When you call them, tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider. My Aged Care will then arrange an assessment for you. 

I need help calling My Aged Care

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

I need an interpreter to call My Aged Care

If you need an interpreter, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to 1800 200 422.

Where can I get more information about this service?

Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H). They can help you with information about eligibility for services and advice on which service will help you with your needs.

I think that my family member would benefit from this service. Can I call Service Access on their behalf?

Yes, you can contact Service Access on their behalf to help with information. If 65 years and over, you will still need to go through My Aged Care for an assessment. Tell them you want Merri Health as your preferred provider.

Frequently Asked Questions

I feel bloated and tired after eating. How can a dietician help me?

A dietitian can help you work out if your symptoms need further investigation or if some dietary changes can help.

My family member has been losing a lot of weight as they get older. How can a dietician help them?

Older people lose weight for many reasons. A dietitian can give tailored advice on how to maximise nutritional intake for your family member.

My family member is at risk of getting diabetes due to their weight. How can a dietician help them?

A dietitian will help your family member identify food choices and eating behaviours that impact on their weight and provide advice on how to change these.

I don’t think my parents have any diet-related problems but I think it would be good for them to learn more about nutrition as they get older. Should they see a dietician?

Some older people are at risk of inadequate nutrition. A once-off consultation with a dietitian will provide tips for any concerns.

What should I expect on my first visit?

Your first appointment is likely to take 60 minutes. The dietitian will start by collecting information to make an assessment. The dietitian will then use this information to provide advice for dietary changes.

This service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Visit the Department of Health website for more information.

Although the funding for this service has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.