Key links - for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Carers
Many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people care for family members. Alongside payments, there are many other resources available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers:
- Carers Australia has information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Strategy has information on the delivery of the NDIS in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across Australia.
- The First People’s Disability Network Australia has information for people caring for someone with disability.
- Aboriginal Community Elders Services (ACES) have two co-located residential aged care facilities – the Nursing Home and the Hostel. The other aged care programs are the Koori Community aged Care Packages (KCACP) Program & the Out of Home & Community Care Planned Activity Group (PAG).
- The Victorian Aboriginal Health Services (VAHS) offers medical, dental and social services.
- Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) offers over fifty programs across Victoria.
- Djirra offers practical support to all Aboriginal women and particularly to Aboriginal people who are currently experiencing family violence or have in the past.
- Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS) offers referrals, advice/information, duty work and case work assistance.
- Aboriginal Advancement League offers family support services.