School Focused Youth Service

student with dog

Supporting at-risk young people through education.

What is it?

Support for students from years 5 to 12 who are attending school but are at high risk of school disengagement.

We provide this support by partnering with local schools and community agencies.

This service is called School Focused Youth Service. 

Who can access this service?

All government, Catholic and independent schools from the Moreland Local Government Area. 


Merri Health receives funding from the Department of Education to work with schools to deliver two types of services - targeted interventions for the School Focused Youth Service (SFYS) target group of students, and capacity building for schools to better support these students.

Do I need a referral?

No, however if you're a school and would like support with students, call us.


Schools located within the Moreland Local Government Area. 

See other Merri Health locations.

Make a booking

Call 1300 637 744 (MERRI H).

More information

Merri-bek Youth Services Referral Poster

What can we help with?

Through SFYS, the Department of Education funds Merri Health deliver two types of services:

  1. Targeted interventions to support students to improve their social and emotional skills, experience success, foster greater self-esteem, develop more positive attitudes towards learning and increase connectedness to school.
  2. Professional development aimed at increasing school ability to support their students.

School Focused Youth Service also facilitates supportive networks, develops collaborative projects, and helps to improve the current service system and service gaps for young people in Moreland.

Who do we work with?

SFYS doesn’t work with students directly, instead we partner with local education providers to support at-risk students. We partner with:

  • All government, Catholic and independent schools within the Moreland Local Government Area 
  • Complementary education services funded by the Department.
  • Community health organisations and groups
  • Family support services
  • Local government
  • Youth services
  • Other Victorian government agencies, including Victoria Police, the Department of Health and The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing

What can I do if someone at my school needs help?

If you're a school and would like to know how we can help or talk to us about what's happening, call us on 1300 637 744 (MERRI H).

If you're a young person that needs help, come and see our drop-in service. It's free and confidential. We'll link you in with the right service.

This service is funded by the Victorian Government's Department of Education

Vic gov logo