- Employment status: Volunteer
- Closing date: 31 December 2018
- Department: Human Resources
- Location: Fawkner
- Contact: Adam Roden
- Title: Volunteer Coordinator
- Contact phone: 03 8319 7437
- Contact email: Adam.Roden@merrihealth.org.au
About the role
Word Play Volunteer
Word Play is a free literacy program for families to learn English together.
It is a FUN way to learn how to:
- Read English with the help of reading buddies,
- Speak English, and
- Get school-ready with your child
Word Play involves:
- Puppets and
- Lots of fun
We are currently seeking enthusiastic, community minded volunteers to help support this fantastic program every Tuesday from 9.30am - 11am at the Fawkner Library.
- Welcome families with preschool children to Word Play
- Sit beside them to help them read English books
- Assist them to join the library and borrow
- Join in with the children's activities (craft, singing and reading)
Experience and attributes:
- Cross cultural and interpersonal skills
- The Fawkner community is culturally diverse and we would encourage individuals who speak Italian, Arabic or Urdu to apply
- No previous experience necessary, casual environment with training provided
Successful applicants will be required to have a current National Police Check and, if relevant to the position, a Working With Children Check and full Drivers Licence. All candidates must have the right to work in Australia. Working with Children Checks are free for Volunteers, and Merri Health provide instructions for obtaining a police check clearance and we also cover the cost for volunteers who require one.
We also provide training at no cost to our volunteers on food handling, manual handling and more if you would like to be involved and gain as much as you can from this rewarding experience!
Merri Health is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of diverse backgrounds including but not limited to those from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and GLBTIQ community to apply.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV to: email@example.com by 5pm, 31 December 2018.
If you are interested, friendly, work well in a team, and/or have existing customer service skills we would love to hear from you!