- Full time fixed term until June 2023
- Based in Wangaratta
- Opportunity to support aboriginal victims of violent crime
- $91,000 - $95,000 + super + salary packaging
Your new organisation
At Merri Health, we strive to enrich diverse communities through the provision of quality health care and support services. A career at Merri will see you contributing to a culture that affects change for our clients and the wider community. We are committed to supporting the talent and skills of our employees because we know their capability is the key to our success.
Your new role
Merri Health is the provider of the Victims Assistance Program (VAP) across the Northern Metropolitan and Hume regions. The VAP is funded by the Department of Justice and Community Safety and is a network of agencies across Victoria that provide services and support to victims of violent crime against the person.
The Koori Engagement Worker will work together with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and mainstream organisations to participate in community engagement activities and provide support to clients who have been affected by violent crime.
The Koori Engagement Worker provides a range of support functions to clients who have been affected by violent crime which may include intake, supportive counselling, case management, and case work. VAP employees aim to promote recovery through the provision of psychological first aid, support, information, advocacy, referrals, outreach, education, community links and use of limited brokerage funds. As the program covers a large region, workers may be co-located at other Community Organisations across the region. VAP employees will be supported by their Team Leader and will work with management to develop and review the VAP.
You will be responsible for
- Providing casework to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients including intake, assessment, care plan development, advocacy, education and referral of clients to relevant services for support needs
- Working with relevant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander agencies in the region to improve referral pathways
- Supporting and advising VAP staff to ensure the program is culturally competent and meets the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Undertaking Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific activities
What you will need to succeed
This is an identified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander position – only Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are eligible
Tertiary Qualification in Social Work or other related discipline or appropriate professional experience, skills and training
• This is a designated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander position and can only be appointed to a person who identifies as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
• Case management and Casework experience with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients
• An understanding of issues for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to work in this role
To be successful with Merri Health you will go above and beyond to achieve great results for our clients, the organisation and yourself. We’re looking for individuals with:
- Appropriate professional experience, skills and training or a tertiary qualification in Social Work or other related discipline
- Case Management and casework experience with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients
- An understanding of issues for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people affected by violent crime
- Sound knowledge base and demonstrated experience in working with trauma and recovery
- Demonstrated experience and skills in community and stakeholder engagement
Preferred candidates will be subject to comprehensive reference and pre-employment background checking conducted by Merri Health prior to an offer of employment, including criminal record history check, and other employee screening and credential checks as determined by the position description.
What we offer
We offer a diverse, inclusive and flexible environment which encourages you to bring your whole self to work. As the successful applicant you’ll be joining an organisation where you will be supported to grow, learn and develop your skills to reach your potential.
You will also have access to generous salary packaging, purchase leave and flexible work arrangement options.
What you need to do now
Start by reviewing the attached position description. If this perks your interest, take a few minutes to learn more about us on our website. If you have any questions, contact Jackie, Team Leader - Victims Assistance Program, firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you're ready to apply, email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
What else do I need to know
Preferred candidates will be subject to comprehensive reference and pre-employment background checking conducted by Merri Health prior to an offer of employment, including criminal record history check, NDIS worker screening and other employee screening and credential checks as determined by the position description.
All candidates must have the right to work in Australia. Merri Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring a safe environment for children and young people.
We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds including but not limited to those from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, the LGBTIQA+ community and those living with a disability to apply.